The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in collaboration with the Institute for Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies (PLAAS), University of the Western Cape (UWC), is offering in-country/in-region scholarships, within the Network of Excellence for Land Governance in Africa (NELGA). This forms part of the Strengthening Advisory Capacities for Land Governance in Africa (SLGA) programme funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (MBZ).
DAAD is offering competitive scholarships for Master’s and Doctoral Studies in Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies, offered at PLAAS, UWC. These scholarships are aimed at young candidates, mid-career professionals, researchers and university staff. Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme. Click here for more information on the DAAD PLAAS NELGA Call for Applications 2021.
The programme supports those in subject areas with strong relevance to land governance/land management. We propose the following topic areas for scholarships:
- Land tenure, including customary tenure, titling and land markets
- Water, forestry, fisheries and ecosystems management
- Farming systems, agricultural development and the rural non-farm economy
- Agricultural investment and inclusive business models
- Governance, policy frameworks and investment standards
- Population, migration and urbanization
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Agro-food systems, food prices and food security
- Regional cooperation and integration and the agro-food system
- Covid-19 impacts and responses on land governance
How to Apply?
The application process contains two steps. Your attention is drawn towards the two application deadlines.
Applicants are required to apply for the respective programme at PLAAS, UWC and are subject to their application procedures. Click here for more information on the PLAAS, UWC Application Procedures 2021. The PLAAS application deadline is 07 August 2020.
Once shortlisted, PLAAS, UWC will provide a link to the DAAD-Portal. The DAAD application deadline is 11 September 2020.
Ms Carla Henry