WEBINAR: Dispossession and repossession of farmland post-fast track land reform in Zimbabwe
THURSDAY 24 JUNE 2021 from 13:00 – 14:30 SAST/CAT
PLAAS invites you to a webinar titled ‘Dispossession and repossession of farmland post-fast track land reform in Zimbabwe’
The speakers include:
- Siphosami Malunga – Director, The Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA)
- Professor Jonathan Moyo – Zimbabwe’s former Minister of Higher & Tertiary Education, Science & Technology Development
- Cynthia Gwenzi- Gender Wellness and Advocacy Officer- Platform for Youth and Community Development (PYCD), Chisumbanje Community, Chipinge
- Khanya Noko- Vice Board Chairperson, Masvingo Centre for Research Advocacy and Development (MACRA), Chilonga Community, Chiredzi
- Flora Nekatambe- Member of the Royal Family, Dinde Community, Hwange.
The preoccupation with the radical repossession of largely white-owned commercial farms – since 2000 – for reallocation to millions of black families, although very important, has occluded attention to contradictory but silent processes of state-led dispossession of black communities living on customary land and a new wave of repossession of farmland from black owners. This generates new questions about the evolving nature of the post-colonial Zimbabwean state & interrelated party practices and the intertwined land questions of dispossession & elite concentration.
The webinar will therefore engage with the following questions:
- Who is being dispossessed, how and why?
- Who is the state targeting for repossession, how and why?
- What is the nature of the state?
- What needs to be done?
Tune in on Thursday 24 June 2021 at:
- 13:00 South African Standard Time (SAST)/Central African Time (CAT)
- 12:00 West African Time (WAT)
- 11:00 Greenwich Meridian Time (GMT) (Ghana)
- 14:00 East African Time (EAT) (Tanzania)