THURSDAY, 03 March 2022 from 13:00 – 14:00 SAST/CAT
PLAAS invites you to a webinar titled: “We cannot eat oil and gas” – seismic surveys on the east and west coast of South Africa.
The speakers include:
- Nonhle Mbuthuma, Amadiba Crisis Committee
- Sinegugu Zukulu, Sustaining the Wild Coast
- Wilmien Wicomb, Legal Resources Center
- Christian Adams, Steenberg Cove Small Scale Fishers Community
- Moenieba Isaacs, Institute for Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies
The webinar will be chaired by Dr Mnqobi Ngubane from the Institute for Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies.
Big corporations’ plans to blast marine life along South Africa’s wild coast and west coast galvanised activists and ordinary citizens to put a stop to it. But what exactly are the impacts on small scale fisher livelihoods and ocean conservation when big corporations roll into town hunting for gas and oil? Join us in this webinar as a panel of experts involved in the legal challenges dive into the politics – and the future of seismic exploration in SA.
We will address the following questions:
- What impacts do seismic surveys have on coastal communities’ livelihoods and marine life?
- What does the South African Constitution say about protecting coastal communities’ livelihoods and the environment?
- How sustainable are court interdicts in defending coastal communities’ livelihoods and marine life?
Time: 13h00 to 14h00 SAST/CAT
Date: 3 March 2022
Registration Link: https://uwc.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ZXyQoHPnTPC0cn75pLCKlA